Wednesday, September 14, 2005
A gorgeous dinner
I often brag about my ability to cook with whatever is available and come up with magnificent meals. I used to be very shy about it, you know, hear the compliments, blush and say it was nothing really. Then I realised that admitting the compliments and acknowledging my talent in the kitchen would propably be more normal than pretending I do not have them. So now I have become the opposite. (see? I tell you its all or nothing! ;)

I did not do any shopping yesterday. It was too hot and humid for any kind of fall/winter piece of clothing to look appealing. Instead, I bought a new iron because our old one was acting up, and ordered some new herbs in small sizes to replenish the ones I have on my kitchen window.

The moment I entered home the pedometer said 11.698 steps. Pretty pleased with this! I am not actually wearing the pedometer all day long, just when I hit the road for long power walks, so I assume that there should be another 1000 random steps in my day. Do you wear your pedometer all day long, or just when you are doing "serious" walking?

Right...the dinner....

The main ingredient was the organic spinach I discovered in the freezer. Actually here are all the ingredients:

400 gr of organic baby spinach
3 pimientos (sweet red bell peppers)
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
a few mushroom of your prefferance
a bunch of parsley
a bit of dill
a handful of sun dried tomatoes (dry, not the ones in oil)
3 red onions
3 garlic cloves
6 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
200 gr of bulgur
4 Tsp of thick tomato paste
cumin, curry, sweet paprika, salt, fresh grounded black pepper

This makes at least 4 generous servings, so if you are into WW and count points, for a hearty meal you will only budget 4 points!!!

You put the oil in a pot, and saute the onions with the garlic. In the meantime you cut the peppers, the parsley and the mushrooms in small pieces and add them in when the onions are sauteed. You add the spinach, a little water, and let it simmer for a while. Then you add the bulgur, the tomato paste, the dill, the spices, and about 2-3 mins before this is done you add the sundried tomatoes. It should not have juices when you are done, it should absorb all liquids.

Then you take 6 organic eggs, 30 gr of grated parmezan, a handful of cherry tomatoes, 3-4 shallots, 2 zuccinis, a Tsp of olive oil. You beat the eggs with the shallots finely chopped and the parmezan, you put the oil in a non sticking pan and saute the thinly sliced zuccinis and the halved cherry toms. Then you add the egg mixture, cook for 5 mins till the fritatta thickens and then you put it in the oven under the grill for 5-7 minutes, or till it gets a nice golden brown colour.

You cut it in 4 pices and serve one for 4 points then add some spinach stew (tis a stew right? I never know if I am using this word correctly) and if you like it hot, like I do, you add on the stew a few drops of mild green tobasco. You need the sourness of the green one, cos I tried some reg tabasco too and it just made it hot, whereas the green brought out the tanginess of the sun dried tomatoes.

It has been ages since I was pleased so much with a meal and I had a few laughs because Angelos declared he is officially on diet since yesterday, since he wants to eat such "diet" food every night!!!

Posted by Argy at 9:33 am
11 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, your recepies always makes me want to try them right away.

But i have some problems understanding what the different kinds of pepper really are. I have asked this before but i try again hoping that you Argy or anyone else can help.

What are for instance ball peppers? Here in Sweden we commonly use either what we call 'paprika' or 'chili peppar'. I know that 'chili peppar' is a whole lot of different kinds which I'm not familiar with. I don't know of anything else and I'm having a bit of troubble guessing what kind to use when you are talking about different kinds of pepper.

Cathy

10:07 am

 
Blogger Kate said...

You sound like you are a great cook! I can't cook anything from scratch I don't think! :-) I wear my pedometer from the time I get dressed, to the time I go to bed - some days I get lots of incidental steps in, and I like them to be counted!

10:53 am

 
Blogger Argy said...

Peppers for Cathy:)
I think your paprika is the red bell peppers. Bell peppers in general are the round big ones that come in green, red, yellow, or orange. They are sweet and not hot like the chilli ones.

I hope I have helped :)

11:04 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Argy, then bell peppers must be what we call paprika because they come in all the colours that you mention.

Now I know what to use!!

Cathy

12:12 pm

 
Blogger Margaret said...

And in Australia we call them "Capsicums" LOL No wonder we all get confused with recipes.
Sounds delicious by the way :)



I will send you a gmail invitation but I need your email address to send it to. Do you want to email it to me (margaret . ev at gmail . com) and I will send it though as soon as I can.

Cheers

1:26 pm

 
Blogger Cat said...

we also call them paprika's in NL groen, rood, geel of oranje all paprikas mmmmm i looooove them so will definitely try that sometime :D

2:14 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You say that you prepare meals out of nothing but you had all of these fresh lovely ingredients? You are amazing! Your english is amazing. Sometimes I can't read your entries because I am so jealous. Take this the right way you gorgeous lady... You are all the things I wish I was and I just wish I could be around someone like you so that at least some of your wonderful talents would stay with me...

2:54 pm

 
Blogger Laura said...

Wow - sounds like a great dinner!

Your meals always sound so good, with all the fresh local ingredients you can pick up during your day...

Hope the things in your life that are troubling you get worked out ok.

3:42 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bell peppers = peppers = capsicum

paprika is a spice...

Argy this sounds divine! you are amazing. I might have to use the last of your precious sundried tomatoes. i didnt get to cook much with them because Gareth eats them as if they were potato chips. He loooves them and always calls them "argy's tomatoes". you will have to tell me how you made them so i can make him some more :)

5:57 pm

 
Blogger Denise said...

You should start your own "I'll cook for you business" and send out meals to folks around the world. I know I'd sign up for it! Yummmmy.

10:33 pm

 
Blogger InsaneMind said...

ah. spices are a healthy cook's bestfriend, eh? ;op as always yummy sounding. i will have to try it out!

p.s. did you know you are my new thinspiration? :oD

11:01 pm

 

Post a Comment



About Me
I have spent all 36 years of my life loving life itself and this will never change. I am a great lover of the smallest things. I am addicted to smells and I attach them to people and events. It is impossible for me to wake up without ice in my coffee.

Stats
Age: 37
Height: 1.68 cm
SW: 130kg/286lbs
CW: 86 kg/189.2lbs
GW: 69 kg/151.8lbs
Lost: 44 kg/96.8lbs
Left: 17kg/37.4lbs

join my Notify List and get email when I update my site:
email:
Powered by NotifyList.com

Previous Posts

Links
Kimba
dietgirl
Cat
Denise
Kate
ms ralph

Designed by
ms ralph