Thursday, September 29, 2005
A great sudden dillema!
I got a phonecall last night from an old client. We have not been working together for the last 16 months, mainly because she closed her production company as she undertook the position of the managing director in one of the most important cultural organisations in greece.

She and I had a strange friendship, a weird chemistry which continued although she and my business partner got into a very bad argument right after she undertook that position.

She asked me to meet her this morning because there was an emergency.

She offered me a managerial position in this organisation with a very attractive salary and bennefits package. The position itself is a dream of mine. It is the implementation of all programs manager position. A team of 15 people to lead, and all the programs are of course big cultural productions. The finances will make Angelos and I breath with relief.

But I will have to leave my company. I will have to leave my partner. And I will have to postpone for at least 6 months the baby making process.

Our company is struggling currently. We have agreed with my partner that we will give it another year and then decide if we have to shut it down. Of course, since this company existed before me, this means that my partner will keep her basic and steady customers, whom she had before I joined in, and I will have to look for a job. In the ripe age of almost 38.

Ethically I do not feel well. But this is a great big opportunity for me. This organisation is public, which means security.

I sincerelly do not know what I should do. What my mind says is totally different from what my heart dictates. I feel excited and honoured to have been offered this position, and yet guilty and totally freaked out about what accepting it might mean.

What if this is the year that our company will make the big difference?

What if 10 months from now I am left with no company, pregnant or with a new born, and no income?

Posted by Argy at 12:09 pm
Blogger Catesa said...

this is of course something you have to decide for yourself but if it helps at all, it would be better to postpone the baby 6mths and have the steady income being put away for the future of your family, than the insecurity of the business world and something going wrong you having babe but no money to support him/her. Id say go with the position. you can restart a business at ANY time but having a baby and saving for the future -in my opinion- a safety net a person shouldnt let slide in these times. your partner will understand and she could very well take her clients and go off on her own, you want to start a family so will think about that instead :) best of luck sweets

12:48 pm

Blogger kathrynoh said...

Go with your heart. I always think that is the best way. Decisions like this are always so hard and I think that our happiness always has to come first. I'm sure that no matter what you decide, you'll make the right decision for you.

If you decide to take the job, I'm sure something will work out with your partner and if you don't, just remember you are good enough to be offered this job so another one will come along if you need it.

Congratulations too - whether you take the job or not, it is a big honour to be offered it :)

3:14 pm

Anonymous marta said...

A dream job doesn't come along every day. I wish I had an opportunity like that, so I would urge you to go for it! If your company is struggling too much for 2 people, it might be just perfect for your partner alone. Whatever you do, keep us posted, and congratulations!

10:05 pm

Blogger M said...

First of all congratulations on being put in this position. So many of us go through life doing a job we hate - just to earn the money, and you have the opportunity to experience two different things. Running your own company on your own terms, or accepting a dream job for someone else. You are truely blessed and whichever way your decision goes the winner is the company that gets you.

Secondly. The best laid plans are just that - plans. There is no way to predict the future. Which one will give better security. Which one will allow me greater freedoms to have a family. Which one will allow me to keep working and yet have precious time with a newborn child. The best bet is to go with something that gives you great joy. That way you will cherish each day - as you do now.

We have been in this position a number of time and it is tough. Our decisions have not always gone the way we had planned but we are still going strong - and have had 2 children in the meantime. So you will survive. And you will make the right decision for you.

Best of luck. Big hugs your way. :)

1:10 am

Blogger M@rla said...

Always follow your heart! The future is uncertain, and the dream job could be wonderful or it could collapse in three months. So could your own business. If you do the thing you love, you always have that happiness, through the good times and bad.

10:44 pm

Anonymous Karen said...

I agree with the others - go with your heart/gut feeling and only you can decide what is best for you hun! Make sure you think about every thing and all aspects and I am sure you will make the right decision :)
Take care

11:25 am

Blogger ms ralph said...

Wow. What a dilemma. Big life changing decisions are so hard. I can only say that I empathize with the difficulty and I know whatever you choose, it will be the right thing. Go with your gut instincts. I'm thinking of you too, and I appreciate all you do for me.

12:30 am

Anonymous Trish said...

Hmmm...I would lean towards the dream job because if you don't take it, you will always ask "what if". Though of course, if it doesn't work out you will more than likely "what if" the current job.

Can you partner do the job on her own? Are you close with your partner? If yes, you may want to talk to her about what has come up and your thoughts and feelings.

Best of luck in whichever way you choose :)

1:27 am

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Saw you blog last night while searching around. My site about atkins diet weight loss program and other free diet info needs some work. thanks for a few ideas

10:07 pm

Blogger Denise said...

What an enviable position - to have two wonderful opportunities! Still, the decision is a tough one. I would echo what Kathryn said: go with your heart. Much love and many hugs for you, dear Argy!!!

11:47 pm

Blogger Silverella said...


3:53 pm


Post a Comment

About Me
I have spent all 36 years of my life loving life itself and this will never change. I am a great lover of the smallest things. I am addicted to smells and I attach them to people and events. It is impossible for me to wake up without ice in my coffee.

Age: 37
Height: 1.68 cm
SW: 130kg/286lbs
CW: 86 kg/189.2lbs
GW: 69 kg/151.8lbs
Lost: 44 kg/96.8lbs
Left: 17kg/37.4lbs

join my Notify List and get email when I update my site:
Powered by

Previous Posts

ms ralph

Designed by
ms ralph